So, I was reading this article on the Runner’s World website the other day titled “Runners at Less Risk of Dying from Breast Cancer”, but I’m not sure what to think of it. The opening line after the headline is: 41% lower risk even in women averaging a few miles a week.
Followed by: Regular physical activity is known to reduce breast cancer risk by about 25%.
In the study, Paul Williams, Ph.D., looked at breast cancer mortality in 79,124 women during the 11 years following their baseline survey. None of the women had a history of breast cancer before entering the study. The women reported the distances they walked or ran each week. During the study’s 11 years, 111 women died from breast cancer. Those who met the current exercise recommendations were at 41.5% lower risk for breast cancer mortality compared to those who fell short of the recommendations.
Being an economist who examined the issue of causality in my dissertation, the first question that comes to mind is: But is it really the running that causes the lower chance of breast cancer? I have a hard time believing that pounding out miles on the pavement lowers your risk of breast cancer. I would be more easily convinced that the health benefits that come from being physically active and eating more nutritious food are the real reasons behind why active women (including runners!) have a lower chance of developing cancer. That’s just my two cents. But I am willing to be convinced.
Running Tip: Since your body has a much better concept of time than of distance, the amount of time spent on your feet is more important than the number of miles you cover.
And how cute are my pups??
Quote of the Day:
“Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.” -Les Brown
I made these cookies what feels like light years ago. Maybe around Thanksgiving time frame-ish?? I can’t quite recall. But what I can recall is that they are by far my FAVORITE Pumpkin Cookies! The glaze just adds a little bit of somethin’-somethin’ if ya know what I mean. They are definitely a must try!
Pumpkin Cookies with Penuche Glaze
– 1 cup butter, room temperature
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
– 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 2 cups AP flour
– 1 tsp each baking soda and baking powder
– 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 3 tbsp butter
– 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1 1/2 – 2 cups confectioners sugar
– Preheat oven to 350* and use ungreased baking sheets.
– Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
– Blend in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract.
– Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt until combined.
– Drop tablespoons 3 inches apart and bake for about 10 minutes; let cool and then frost with glaze
– For the Glaze: In a saucepan, heat brown sugar and butter and stir until slightly thickened. Beat in milk. Blend in confectioners sugar until glaze is smooth. Spread or drizzle on cookies.