Tomato and Mozzarella Risotto – makes 4 servings
– 3.25 cups vegetable broth
– 1 tbsp unsalted butter
– 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
– 1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
– 1.25 cups uncooked Arborio rice
– 3/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
– 2 oz chopped fresh mozzarella cheese
– 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
– 1/8 tsp kosher salt
– 2 cups torn fresh baby spinach
– 2 tsp dried basil
– Bring vegetable broth to a simmer (do not boil).
– Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; saute 2 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
– Add rice to pan; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
– Add 1/2 cup broth to rice mixture; cook for 5 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Reserve 1/3 cup broth. Add remaining broth 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of the broth is absorbed before adding the next.
– Stir in the tomatoes; cook for one minute. Add cheese, pepper and salt to rice mixture, stirring constantly until cheese melts.
– Remove from heat; stir in reserved 1/3 cup broth, spinach and basil.
adapted from Cooking Light